Recipe: Grilled Portobellos
- 4 Portobello Mushrooms
- 2 T butter
- 2 t minced garlic
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/8 t black pepper
- 1 T chopped fresh basil
Steps / Directions
- Preheat outdoor gill or boiler.
- Separate mushroom caps from stems, set caps aside.
- Coarsely chop stems (to measure 1 cup).
- In a medium saucepan melt butter, add chopped stems and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until stems are tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar, salt and black pepper; remove from heat.
- Transfer to the bowl of a food processor; process until finely chopped; set aside.
- Place Portobellos rounded side up on grill or rack in broiler pan.
- Grill or broil 4 inches from heat until mushrooms are hot, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Turn spread each mushrooms with 1/4 chopped mushroom stem mixture; cook until mushrooms are tender, 4 to 5 minutes longer.
- Serve on toasted rolls with sliced tomato and arugula or watercress if desired.