Recipe: Pasta and Mushroom Tumble
- 8 ounces Baby Portobello mushrooms sliced
- 16 ounces penne or other medium sized pasta
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, trimmed or large tough stems and coarsely chopped
- 8-10 slices meaty bacon cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon black salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup ready-to-use chicken broth
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
Steps / Directions
- Cook pasta according to package directions, adding broccoli rabe to the same pot during the last 3 minutes of cooking. Drain the pasta and the broccoli rabe, transfer both to a large bowl, and toss with olive oil. Cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; drain on paper towels. Spoon off all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat from the skillet.
- Add mushrooms to the skillet and cook over medium-high heat 3-4 minutes, or until browned. Add garlic, oregano, salt, and black pepper. Cook one more minute, stirring constantly. Add broth and bring to a boil. Pour the mushroom mixture over the pasta and broccoli rabe; toss well. Sprinkle with the bacon and feta cheese. Serve hot or at room temperature.