Recipe: Asian Beef Skillet with Mushrooms
- 8 ounces crimini, thickly sliced
- 1 pound lean flank steak, thinly sliced then cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1 tablespoon peeled, minced fresh ginger (or ½ teaspoon ground ginger)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 bag coleslaw mix (about 4 cups)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 bunches scallions, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup ready to use beef or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
Steps / Directions
- In a shallow bowl, combine beef with ½ cup of the teriyaki sauce, the ginger, and sugar. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large heavy skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of the oil over high heat. Add coleslaw mix and garlic. Stir-fry 3 to 4 minutes, or until softened. Transfer to bowl.
- In the same skillet, heat 2 more teaspoons of the oil over high heat. Add the beef and its marinade. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, or until the beef is lightly browned, stirring constantly. Add to the cabbage mixture.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil over high heat. Add mushrooms and cook 1 to 2 minutes, or until lightly browned, stirring constantly. Add scallions, toss briefly, and then return the beef and cabbage mixture to the skillet. Add broth and remaining ¼ cup teriyaki sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 2 minutes, or until the beef is no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, in a small cup, dissolve cornstarch in the cold water. Add to the skillet and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until the mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly. Serve with rice or ramen noodles.