Recipe: Portobello Mushroom Caps with Cajun-Spiced Scrambled Eggs
- 24 Portobello mushrooms
- 48 eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups red bell pepper, small dice
- 1 1/2 cups green onion, sliced thinly
- Chopped parsley for garnish
Steps / Directions
- Stem portobellos, reserving stem for later use. Brush with olive oil or melted butter as needed; season with salt and pepper. Arrange on sheet pan. Bake at 500°F until mushrooms are tender, about 8 minutes; cool.
- Just before service, beat together eggs, thyme, salt, black pepper and cayenne; reserve.
- Heat one Portobello cap on a grill or in hot frying pan
- Meanwhile, in 1 teaspoon butter, sauté 1 tablespoon each green onion and bell pepper until soft, about 3 minutes. Ladle 1/2 cup egg mixture into pan; stir over medium-low heat until soft curds form, about two minutes.
- Mound the scrambled eggs into the Portobello cap. Sprinkle with parsley.