Recipe: Crab Imperial Stuffed Portobello
- 6 large Portobello mushrooms, cleaned, stems removed
- 1Lb jumbo lump crab, picked over to remove any shells
- 1 T. butter
- 1 T. finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 T. finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 T. finely chopped orange or yellow bell pepper
- 2 T. finely chopped shallots
- 1 T. butter
- 5 T. Flour
- 4 T. Butter
- 1 cup evaporated skimmed milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- freshly ground salt and pepper
- dash of paprika, fresh chopped parsley and chives
Steps / Directions
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Arrange the portobellos on an oiled ovenproof baking dish. Squeeze the lemon juice over the crab and toss very gently.
- In a small skillet, melt the butter and cook the peppers and shallots until tender. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, melt the butter and stir in the flour. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes but do not allow the to brown. Whisk in the milk and cook until thickened. Stir a little of the sauce into the egg, taking care not to scramble it, then stir the egg into the sauce. Stir in the dry mustard, Worcestershire and mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the sautéed vegetables, and fold in the crab, do not break up the lumps.
- Spoon the crab mixture into the portobellos. Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes. Sprinkle lightly with paprika and freshly chopped parsley and chives.